[Podcast Episode] Mindfulness for brain health, wellness and weight lossNov 05, 2020
Emotions and mindfulness play a huge role in your eating habits. We've found the EMOTIONAL piece is the KEY that is missing from your weight loss program. We've found meditation, gratitude, and goal setting is key ingredients to success. Once you start changing the neurology in the brain, you break the habit, and you make the SWITCH!
The 3rd Pillar of the Pure Joy Method: Mindfulness
Can you believe it? Mindset is STILL the #1 way to change and SUCCEED!
This is the Pure Joy Method's 3rd pillar in our 3 pillar structure for our Lovecamp (4-Week Keto Gone Green Coaching Program) because if we can incorporate mindfulness practices, journaling, meditating, exercise, intermittent fasting we can begin to switch our mindset.
YOU ARE WORTHY and WORTH IT!
- STRESS AND DIGESTION: If we eat when we are stressed, digestion is not optimized, and we can't digest properly. So even when you are eating the cleanest diet, if you are under stress (not mindful) you won’t be fully healthy (this leads to nutrient deficiencies, raised cortisol, ages you quicker, and gains weight around the belly. etc,)
- LEAKY GUT CORTISOL CONNECTION
- THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL: Changing your health requires patience and dedication in order to fully transform. This is not an overnight fix!
- PRAYER/GRATITUDE practice before eating (drink it in with your eyes first.
- STOP AND PAUSE for 1 minute before taking your first bite (a great time to take your digestive enzymes)
- EAT, BREATHE, AND CHEW ONLY...No tv, phones, magazines, etc.
- MEDITATION: How this practice can stay with you throughout the day. From the book Mindfulness by Mark Williams and Danny Penman: “Numerous psychological studies have shown that regular meditators are happier and more contented than average.'
- MINDFULNESS BOOKS & APPS:
- Books: (most found on Audible)
- The 4 Agreements
- 10% Happier by Sam Harris
- nonviolent communication
- Untethered Soul (Michael Singer)
- The Art of Living
- Radical Acceptance (Tara Brach)
- Apps: Insight timer, youtube, headspace
- NOTICING AND REPLACING: practice noticing negative thoughts or words around your food choices or your body/looks. When we catch ourselves saying something unsavory, without judgment, just notice it, then replace that thought with something believable (might just be something as simple as I can have that later or my skin looks amazing)
- EXERCISE AND MOVEMENT: could be cardio or as simple as stretching and feeling your body inside and also with your hands.
- BODY SCAN: How do I FEEL? My eyes, my lips, my cheeks, my head, my neck, my shoulders, all the way down to your toes.
- AM I HUNGRY? Ask yourself this question… If no, then what is this sensation, and is there something other than food that I can replace it with? Talking to a friend, a walk, some push-ups or lunges, a bath or sauna, a drive, or errand????
11 Benefits of Mindful Eating
- Learn to eat when you’re hungry, and stop when you’re satiated.
- Learn to really taste the food, and to enjoy the taste of healthy food.
- You slowly start to realize that unhealthy food isn’t as tasty as you thought, nor does it make you feel good anymore.
- Lose weight effortlessly if that's your goal
- Begin to sort through the emotional issues you have around food and eating. This takes a bit longer, but it’s important.
- Social overeating becomes less of a problem — you can eat mindfully while socializing, with practice, and not overeat, having an experience of getting filled up with social connections
- Begin to enjoy your eating experience more, and as a result, enjoy life more.
- A mindfulness ritual you can look forward to.
- How food affects your mood and energy throughout the day.
- Become more intuitive with what your body needs, listening to its signs
- What food best fuels your life (fitness, work, play)
With these 3 pillars in place, we've seen such a high rate of success with our clients. From losing weight, lowering cholesterol levels, balancing hormones, reducing PCOS symptoms, gaining the energy back, mood, and sleep.
Email us at [email protected] and ask away!