Is Plant-Based Keto right for you?Nov 10, 2020
In 1997 I embarked on an experiment of eating a raw food diet. That including anything that was vegan and raw, including tons of nuts and seeds, veggies and greens, dates, raisins, dried fruit, and all fresh fruit. Anything I wanted, as long as it was raw. I felt amazing. It was probably because I eliminated processed foods, grains, soy, and dairy. By adopting this raw/vegan way of eating, I was able to cleanse my colon, heal my body, and clear out toxins on a cellular level. After years of eating this way, I finally had to admit that the high amount of carbohydrates (sugar) did not work for me. It was very clear and pretty plain and simple. Every time I ate fruit or raw desserts made with agave, maple syrup, dates, dried fruit, honey, etc. I felt tired, irritable, and bloated.
Removing high carb foods
After studying with Gabriel Cousens, MD, author of Conscious Eating, Spiritual Nutrition, There Is A Cure for Diabetes, and many more books on nutrition, I inner-stood that sweet fruit and high carb foods (even the healthy ones) were raising my blood sugar, destroying my healthy gut bacteria, and feeding the candida and mold that resided in my body. I was motivated to eliminate all the exacerbating foods for one year in order to really heal. So I embarked on a year of no fruit, no sweeteners (stevia was OK), and no cooked food or high carb foods of any kind. I felt the best I had ever felt and any excess weight just dropped off. After the one year experiment was up, I thought I could do no wrong, so slowly the fruit and sweeteners snuck back into my diet (sound familiar?). It didn’t take long for the symptoms like itchy ears, eczema on my legs and hands, and the all too familiar lack of motivation and brain fog to return. It was at that point that I decided to take matters into my own hands and create recipes and treats that were low carb, plant-based, and whole food. It was time to stop worrying about what other people were doing (such as 100% raw/vegan) and focus on what my body was telling me. I created some amazing low-carb desserts (I mean I’m not a monk!) and re-created some of my favorite foods using low carb healthy ingredients.
The results were in: A low carbohydrate, high fat, high plant food diet made me happy, balanced, and healthy. After healing my body and blood sugar problems, I am now able to add in some higher carb whole foods such as sweet potatoes and berries from time to time (carb cycling) and I still feel balanced. Focusing on whole foods that satisfy the mind, body, and soul is easier than I thought. It just took time for me to discover that no matter how many times I tried to get away with sneaking high carb foods back in, they would never serve me. Now, I’m excited to know that after years of experimentation and following my own guidance, new science has corroborated what I learned through trial and error. Study after study and plenty of testimonials say that yeast, mold, fungus, candida, diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease are all made worse from eating a high carbohydrate diet.
As for Katelyn, and me we will continue to practice a plant-strong, ketogenic, intermittent fasting, cleansing, and carb cycling diet for as long as it works for us. Our track records over the past 10 and 20 years respectively say that we are on the right track.
Here’s the plant-based keto science:
- Studies have shown that eating a plant-based diet for just 2 weeks can completely reset your gut biome. This is important because our gut is considered our ‘second brain’ and is responsible for producing our hormones, regulating stress, and assimilating our nutrients through our cell walls. Without a healthy gut, your body cannot thrive.
- Plant-based diets offer a lot more fiber since meat does not contain fiber. According to a Harvard study, diets low in fiber and high in foods that cause sudden increases in blood sugar may increase the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. Both Harvard studies—of female nurses and of male health professionals—found that this type of diet more than doubled the risk of type 2 diabetes when compared to a diet high in fiber and low in high-glycemic-index foods.
- Fiber also improves digestion. This way of eating plants high in fiber and low carbohydrates can act as a cleanse for many people since they will be abstaining from dairy, gluten, meat, and harmful processed foods. Increasing your consumption of plants and eliminating animal products for a while will give your body the rest it needs to repair, shed excess toxins and weight, and heal from many ailments. Having this as a tool in your tool belt can be transformational!
- Typical vegan diets are usually too high in carbohydrates which are not optimal for many people and maybe the reason why you are here today reading this. A diet high in carbohydrates can be destructive in the long run, leading to brain fog, weight gain, hair loss, hormonal imbalances, cancer, candida, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and much more.
- When you hear KETO you may think “Ewwww! It’s full of processed animal foods!” Well, you are not wrong, the typical KETO diet is very high in animal protein and is actually called “dirty keto” by some leading health experts. We know conventional meats and dairy and eggs are bad not only because they create a toxic load on your body (high amounts of hormones and antibiotics) but many conventionally raised animals are treated inhumanely (aka tortured). This leads to low quality of life, a release of adrenaline, urea, and cortisol in the animals which releases into the meat when they are slaughtered. These CAFO (Confined Animal Feeding Operations) are fed other diseased animals, old candy, moldy grains, and more which are super inflammatory, The inflammation and toxins are all transferred to the meat you are consuming. When you ingest it, you get all of the negative side effects involved in this process.
- Meat is acidic in nature whereas plants are very alkaline. Many studies show that an acidic state in the body leads to ALL diseases. If we are eating acidic foods, this can lead to disease
As for carbohydrates, start with cutting out all gluten, then when you are comfortable with that, cut out all grains (this means quinoa, corn, rice, and more). After that, you can eliminate other high carb foods such as potatoes, beans, and fruit. Don’t worry, you don’t have to do it all at one time, you can ease in. Sometimes people don’t think about all the carbs that are in things such as rice crackers and dark chocolate. And they never truly experience full healing. The problem with only going partway is that your body takes up to 2 weeks to eliminate a food so if, for example, you only have wheat 1x a week, you are never really going to get it out of your system and you won’t see the results you long for. If you decide to join our program, we will help you to get on track quickly, and we have plenty of awesome and delicious recipes that are 100% designed to heal your body. We will have you flying high and feeling great in no time!
While you are waiting for our January Program to start, just begin by substituting gluten for other high fiber grains (quinoa and millet), and replace dairy with alternatives that are so readily available in stores these days. It can be fun and easy and you will love how great you will start to feel!
Here are a few items to Check-in on: Do you have a hard time remembering things (appointments, where you left your keys, people’s names)? Do you have brain-fog? Does your throat feel scratchy after eating certain foods? Do the glands in your neck swell up when you eat gluten? Do you get regular headaches? Do you feel shooting pains in your head after eating sugar? Do you have low energy levels? Are you ready for a nap by 2 or 3 pm? Do you wake up feeling groggy in the morning?
Would you love to feel: Motivated, strong, ready to run or workout anytime, excited about life, determined, clear-headed, excited to get in your kitchen and get it organized, excited about preparing food, in love with your body, mood, and personality? If so, then this way of eating is right for you!
Our mission to make the planet a more joyful place to live and to help bring all beings magic, smiles, and well-being one bite at a time, if you would love to help us in our mission, please share on Facebook, Instagram, and with your friends.
Click HERE to learn more about our January Plant-Based Keto Keto Gone Green Program <—- Join the group
Disclaimer: If you do decide to add animal protein into your diet, make sure it is very minimal (no more than 3x per week), wild-caught, free-range, grass-fed, from a neighbor’s yard, etc. In other words, the highest quality possible and always cruelty-free. We do not recommend eating any kind of dairy or pork in any way shape or form as it is highly acidic and can be mucus forming and detrimental to one’s health. We actually recommend staying away from all animal products for at least 6 months, or until all of your symptoms clear up, then experimenting to see how you feel when you add things back in.